FDRS Fund Raising Event Guidelines
We are pleased that you would like to host a fund raising event for the FDRS. Below are some basic but necessary guidelines to aid in planning a fund raiser to benefit Fat Disorders Research Society, Inc.
Pre-planning an event can smooth the way to an efficiently-run, successful, but fun project.
- Form an event planning committee. Seek out enthusiastic dedicated people to help ensure the success of your fundraising event. Every committee member should be bringing ‘something to the table’- a special skill to help the event run smoothly.
- Set realistic goals. It is important to establish your goals for the fundraiser. Be specific. Pinpoint your audience, what type of fundraiser you will have, and what you wish to accomplish (e.g. raise a specific dollar amount of money for FDRS, or teach and raise awareness of the organization.)
- Don’t aim too high: choose the right event. Your event should fit the comfort level, skills, and interests of your committee and group. Likewise important, fundraising events should reflect the mission and professional image of the Fat Disorders Research Society, Inc.
- Budget both expenses and time. Identify probable expenses as well as possible sources of income. Detail which items you need to be purchased outright and which items can be donated. It is best to keep the up-front costs low, by seeking sponsorship and donations.
Sample Local Community Fund raising Ideas
- Day in the Park Activities
- Garage Sale
- Bake Sale
- Benefit Fundraiser Dinner
- Sponsor a fundraising night at a local restaurant or pizza place
- Sports tournaments e.g. baseball, basketball, golf etc.
- Auction (online, silent, radio)
- Poker Run
- Car/Motorcycle show
- Raffle of donated goods
- Craft show booth
- Pancake Breakfast or Barbeque
Keys to Success!
- Advertise your event! Advertising really does pay off, so promote, promote, and promote again. Promoting and publicizing your event will be key in reaching your target audience and overall fundraising goal.
- Get your community involved. Introduce yourself to your local businesses and explain the event. Many businesses will provide goods and services for a good cause and acknowledgment of their sponsorship or donation. Donations of food, the actual physical venue (event location), entertainment, and/or auction items have been known to be provided for fund raising events.
- Volunteers are a good thing. Just be sure they are properly supervised and understand the significance of the event and its goals.
We are pleased that you have selected the Fat Disorders Research Society, Inc. as the recipient of your fund raising activity.
Your successful event will not only help spread awareness of fat disorders, but will also raise funds for much-needed research.
HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT PLANNING A FUND RAISING EVENT?